Telkomsel targets 50% 4G market share in Indonesia

Telkomsel targets 50% 4G market share in Indonesia

Indonesia’s Telkomsel has set a target of owning 50% share of the country’s LTE market this year.

Telkomsel plans to invest approximately 12.9 trillion rupiah ($993.3 million) in the deployment of 15,000 base transceiver stations (BTS) across the country, bringing its total base to 100,000 by the end of 2015. 

75% of the BTS will support 3G and the remaining 25% will be for 2G and 4G networks.

The allocated funds to build the BTS this year represent approximately 18-20% of the operator’s 2014 revenues, according to Hendri Mulya Sjam, Telkomsel’s SVP for LTE projects. The operator aims to grow its revenues by 7-8% this year. 

In addition, Telkomsel plans to expand its 4G network coverage and partner with handset distributors to market 4G devices in areas where it already has a 4G network. 

The operator’s 4G service is presently available in Jakarta, Bandung (West Java), Surabaya (East Java) and Medan (North Sumatra).