Orange to sell Kenyan operations
15 April 2014 | Sophie Donoghue
French operator Orange has put its Kenyan subsidiary up for sale, following a month-long review of its operations in the country.
Orange began a review of its operations in Kenya in March, after Telkom Kenya saw a drop in its revenues in the last year.
The operator has been struggling to compete with mobile market leader Safaricom.
Orange has formally notified the government of its intent to sell its 70% stake in the subsidiary, according to a local newspaper, and is already said to be in talks with several potential buyers.
Telkom Kenya has been 51% owned by France Telecom since December 2007, with the remaining 49% stake owned by the Kenyan government. Orange raised its stake to 70% last January when the government was unable to match investment funding.
6m | Natalie Bannerman
7m | Alan Burkitt-Gray
44m | Natalie Bannerman
53m | Jason McGee-Abe