CamTel secures mobile licence in Cameroon

CamTel secures mobile licence in Cameroon

The government of Cameroon has awarded a fourth mobile licence in the country to Cameroon’s state-owned, fixed-line telco, CamTel.

The licence will enable CamTel to establish and operate a mobile telecoms network in Cameroon for the next 15 years.

The agreement was signed between Victor Mukete, president of the board at CamTel, and Jean-Pierrs Biyiti bi Essam, the Minister of Posts and Telecommunications in Cameroon, in the capital of Yaounde.

CamTel previously operated in the mobile market, but MTN Group acquired 70% of CamTel Mobile in February 2000, and its local partner Broadband Telecom bought the remaining 30%.

South African MTN is now Cameroon’s largest mobile player by subscribers, ahead of Orange Cameroun, and a third operator, Viettel Cameroon which was awarded a mobile licence in December 2012.

Gift this article