3G network launches in Kenya

3G network launches in Kenya

Telkom Kenya-Orange has launched a 3G network across Kenya offering customers access speeds of up to 21Mbps.

The move was completed in collaboration with China-based equipment provider ZTE, which supplied Telkom Kenya-Orange with Uni-RAN-based all IP solutions that were then developed into a unified 2G/3G mobile network for the operator.

Telkom Kenya-Orange’s CEO Mickael Ghossein believes the network helps fulfil the country’s Vision 2030 plan, which identifies key areas of economic and social growth for Kenya, in particular through the development of ICT.

“Kenya has been described as an ideal location for business process outsourcing, based on the country’s high quality of education and exposure among the youth. With this robust network, we are now provided with the much needed vehicle for businesses to move to the next level in the application of ICT solutions, to boost their time and cost efficiency,” added Ghossein.

Following the launch of the network, the company is now looking to partner with different organisations to launch an E-solutions Suite, which will feature Orange’s mobile payment service as well as e-government and e-health initiatives.

Telkom Kenya-Orange has been 51% owned by France Telecom since December 2007, with the remaining 49% stake owned by the Kenyan government. The company was first granted a licence to operate 3G in Kenya in 2010.

Gift this article