Subsea Americas: Agenda
Subsea Americas 2018
03-04 December 2018 | United States Fort Lauderdale
PRE-EVENT NETWORKING: WOMEN IN SUBSEA
9:30am – 9:45am CO-CHAIR INTRODUCTION – THE INSPIRATION & BACKSTORY BEHIND WOMEN IN SUBSEA
9:45am – 10:30am PANEL DISCUSSION – WOMEN AS CHAMPIONS – FINDING YOUR PATH AND CLAIMING IT
10:30am – 11:20am FACILITATED ROUNDTABLES
Roundtable 1: Understanding ‘how you claim your own path’
Roundtable 2: What are some strategies that you have utilized to overcome obstacles
Roundtable 3: What steps do you think our industry needs to take to have a more inclusive and diverse environment?
11:20am – 11:30am CLOSING REMARKS
Session summary from the Co-Chair including an action list for the next Women in Subsea gathering.
To hear more or RSVP, please email email@example.com
NEXT-GENERATION SUBSEA ROUTES – IDENTIFYING THE NEW & GEOGRAPHICALLY DIVERSE ROUTES THROUGH SOUTH, CENTRAL & NORTH AMERICA
- Exploring the offerings of new high capacity systems
- Building subsea cables for the digital age – how are they meeting demand for capacity?
- Where are the geographically remote and diverse locations that remain underserved with bandwidth infrastructure?
- Understanding why the underserved routes are attractive to investors
- Which technologies have facilitated quicker and cheaper cable builds?
PRESENTATIONS: CABLE UPDATES FROM NEW CABLES LAUNCHING IN 2018/2019
COFFEE & NETWORKING
PANEL DISCUSSION: ATLANTIC VS. PACIFIC – HOW CAN THE INDUSTRY MIRROR THE EAST COAST SUBSEA CABLE BOOM ON THE PACIFIC WEST COAST?
- What has attracted more east coast subsea cable investment in comparison to the west coast?
- How has the investment along the Atlantic coastline benefitted and shaped the connectivity levels of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay?
- With many west coast landing cables reaching their retirement age, how pivotal is it that the industry is commissioning new cables along this coastline?
- Reaching landlocked countries – how are cables serving the likes of Paraguay and Bolivia with connectivity?
- What would new high capacity, low latency and diverse pacific coastline routes offer the region?
- Predictions for the subsea cable pipeline – who is going to be constructing the next big South American cable system?
CONTENT DRIVEN CABLES – HOW ARE THEY CHANGING THE SUBSEA CONSORTIUM PARADIGM?
- Have new entrants to the market changed the fundamentals of what it means to be a carrier?
- Is the next influx of new entrants going to come from the tier 2 content providers?
- How has investing in subsea cable systems allowed content giants to transition into the digital age and adopt a cloud-first approach?
- What’s next? – predicting new routes and which content players are set to construct future pioneering subsea systems
COFFEE & NETWORKING
11:00am TOWARDS 1 PETABIT PER SECOND - BRIDGING THE TECHNOLOGY GAP
Dr. Eduardo Mateo, Director - Network Architecture & Core Technology Strategy, NEC
11:15am MAXIMIZING EFFICIENCY AND PERFORMANCE IN LEGACY OPTICAL NETWORKS
Chad Lamb, Chief Systems Architect, XKL
LIFE AFTER 25? – EXPLORING THE OPTIONS ON OFFER IN PROLONGING THE LIFESPAN OF A SUBSEA SYSTEM
- How can cable owners monitor the cables on the to detect early signs of ageing?
- What options are on offer in increasing capacity and upgrading legacy networks?
- Cost concerns – what is the most economically viable option on offer?
- What pressing questions must cable owners be asking themselves as their subsea systems approach the 15 year milestone?
ROUNDTABLE 1: ENSURING SUBSEA CABLE RELIABILITY THROUGH ADVANCING TECHNOLOGICAL MAINTENANCE SOLUTIONS
Team leader: Carlos Ferreira, Maintenance Account Manager, GLOBAL MARINE SYSTEMS
ROUNDTABLE 2: CUTTING COSTS WITHOUT COMPROMISE – HOW CAN OPERATORS STRATEGICALLY SAVE ON CABLE
Team leader: Fernando Margarit, Partner, HUNTON & WILLIAMS
ROUNDTABLE 3: OVERCOMING THE REGULATORY ROADBLOCKS THAT ELONGATE A SUBSEA CABLE BUILD
Team leader: Ulises Pin, Partner, MORGAN LEWIS BOCKIUS
To confirm your participation in one of the above discussions, please email Frances on firstname.lastname@example.org stating which roundtable you wish to join.
COFFEE & NETWORKING BREAK
RIDING THE UPCOMING WAVE OF SUBSEA CABLE OPTIMISATION – HOW ARE DATA CENTRES AHEAD OF THE CURVE?
• What can connecting a cable system directly into a data centre offer that cable landing stations cannot?
• What achievements in the way of subsea cable optimisation have been realised through direct data centre interconnection?
• The money factor – is expense the biggest driver for cable owners in deciding whether to opt for a cable landing station or not?
• Emerging markets – how can developing regions benefit from the market trend being set by data centres in developed regions?
• Can a carrier-owned data centre ever be carrier neutral?
IDENTIFYING CREATIVE FINANCING STRUCTURES FOR FUTURE SUBSEA CABLE VENTURES
• What are the new & fresh approaches to financing a subsea cable system?
• How precarious is the balancing of all parties’ interests when creating a subsea financing structure?
• What are the potential financial and operating risks to cable projects and how can they be mitigated?
• How optimistic is the industry on the economy in funding future cable projects?