News

Sateliot and GateHouse Telecom to develop world’s first NB-IoT network

pr_GateHouse_Sateliot_1600x836px.jpg

Sateliot, a Spanish satellite telecoms operator, has signed a partnership agreement with the Danish satellite communications provider, GateHouse Telecom.

Under the terms of the collaboration, the two will develop the world’s first space-based NarrowBand-IoT (NB-IoT) network offering 5G connectivity in remote regions with limited or no coverage.

Specifically, GateHouse will deliver NB-IoT connectivity technology for Sateliot’s space-based NB-IoT network.  The technology will allow IoT terminals to send and receive data from both terrestrial and space-based networks. As a result, Sateliot will be able to offer full connectivity to IoT devices in remote regions of the world.

“Only 10% of the Earth’s land surface has mobile coverage, and it is in the remaining 90 percent that our new generation of 5G infrastructure comes into play. With our network, we can offer a supplement to the traditional telecom operators that will make 5G connectivity possible for the rising amount of IoT devices in remote regions, e.g. the Arctic regions or the Australian outback,” said Jaume Sanpera, CEO of Sateliot.

Earlier this year, GateHouse Telecom signed a contract with the European Space Agency (ESA) to develop a solution for extending existing NB-IoT protocols enabling a space-based NB-IoT network reinforcing the potential for IoT services.

Coupled with existing software-defined radio payloads and applied on Low Earth Orbit satellites, NB-IoT can extend the network range providing full seamless connectivity to remote regions on earth. On top of this, NB-IoT also offers a remarkably low power consumption and low device cost,” added Michael Bondo Andersen, CEO at GateHouse.

“Our ambition is to develop the first standard connectivity technology for space-based NB-IoT and the new partnership with Sateliot is an important step towards this goal. We therefore expect that our solution will provide a roadmap for the future 5G network in regions with little or no coverage.”

The network is expected to be operational by the end of 2022.

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree