Enel plans wholesale fibre for city of Venice

The ancient Italian city of Venice has agreed to a €53 million project to install a wholesale fibre to the home network throughout its historic areas.

Italian electricity company Enel will install the network through its Enel Open Fiber (EOF) unit, meaning connections will be available to other operators on a wholesale basis.

The city council, headed by major Luigi Brugnaro, approved the agreement with EOF to begin the installation, which will cover not only the ancient centre of Venice, plus the island of Murano and the resort area of Lido, but also the mainland industrial and residential areas around Mestre.

All areas not covered by Enel – where the economic case has been harder to make – will be cabled through a different project, already started, run by the Veneto Region and operated by a separate company, Infratel.

EOF will deliver fibre to customers’ homes, and retail telecoms providers will be able to use the fibre to deliver services.

The project is part of a nationwide plan to to cover 85% of the Italian population by 2020 with infrastructure that can work at speeds of 100Mbps or more, with the other 15% able to be connected at 30Mbps.

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree