Telekom Austria and Telekom Slovenije receive approval for merger of subsidiaries

The Macedonian Commission for Protection of Competition has approved the merger of Telekom Austria Group’s Macedonian subsidiary Vip Operator, with Telekom Slovenije’s subsidiary ONE.

A deal was initially agreed between the two operators in October 2014, and competition authorities have now approved the agreement based on a number of commitments, including MVNO access offered by the combined company to interested parties.

ONE is Macedonia’s third largest mobile player with a market share of 25.4%, and the deal will see Telekom Austria hold a majority 55% stake in the joint entity, with Telekom Slovenije taking the remaining 45%.

The merger is expected to close in Q4 2015, and also includes options for Telekom Slovenije to exit the combined firm within three years of its closing date.

In July last year, Vip Operator launched a 4G LTE network in the country.